For Immediate Release
London, 24 June 2014
England may be out of the Cup but our Summer of Love goes on…
- UK Black Pride’s carnival-themed stage to feature at the FREE Big Pride Picnic In the Park event, Sunday 29 June, London Vauxhall’s Pleasure Gardens
- Weather forecast is for glorious sunshine with temperatures soaring to 25°C
The countdown has begun to UK Black Pride 2014. Europe’s biggest community-led, not-for-profit support group for African, Arab, Asian and Caribbean lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans people will host its ninth festival in London Vauxhall’s Pleasure Gardens on Sunday 29 June.
Despite England getting the boot from the Football World Cup there is still plenty to play for as UK Black Pride brings the Brazilian spirit of carnival and sporting camaraderie between LGBT people and friends from around the world to the Big Pride Picnic in the Park.
UK Black Pride is proud to join Big Pride Picnic organisers to offer a cross community, inclusive event that blends culture, entertainment and sports with health and well-being at its core. The event has grown out of the idea that LGBT people can have a free, family-friendly and fun outdoor event that offers more than just dance music or drinking alcohol.
At Big Pride Picnic in the Park 2014 we will let you try out sporting activities like lawn tennis; football, volleyball and wheelchair basketball. For the less sportive types there will be a chance to enjoy the Pride doggy pageant and Pride cake bake-off. For the musically inclined UK Black Pride will blend fantastic live music entertainment with DJs, dancers, politics and poetry flavoured with carnival spirit from the main stage. A disco stage will offer comedians, line dancing, in addition to education and welfare stalls. Alongside this will be world food and drink. A full line up will be published later this week and UK Black Pride guarantees to deliver an entertaining and inclusive festival of community pride with something to suit all tastes. Join us.
To attend the ninth annual UK Black Pride carnival stage festival, which will be an integral part of the Big Pride Picnic in the Park celebration on Sunday 29 June in London Vauxhall’s Pleasure Gardens, you can turn up on the day from 12 noon until 9pm.
UK Black Pride has a strong identity as a grassroots movement. We believe the most effective way to secure the fight for LGBT equality and inclusion is by opposing all forms of bigotry and putting people and politics before profit. The theme for UK Black Pride 2014 is Local and Global: Love Without Borders. This is a signal of resistance against those seeking to curb LGBT rights and equality from Brunei to India, from Nigeria to Jamaica and the USA. Join us!
Phyllis Opoku-Gyimah, UK Black Pride Executive Director, said: “We’re thrilled that so many community organisations have rallied behind UK Black Pride. Our sponsors, Stonewall, Lewis Silkin, the trade unions, as well as Black and LGBT support groups who provide vital services to our community, have helped to ensure that we can meet the needs of Black LGBT people, as well as celebrating our communities’ many achievements. UK Black Pride is a fun and inclusive event. We invite everyone to love without borders during this summer of love!”
There are many ways to get involved in making UK Black Pride 2014 a success:
- For UK Black Pride media enquiries email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For UK Black Pride sponsorship enquiries email: email@example.com
- For food or information stall bookings email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For performance opportunities at UK Black Pride email: email@example.com
- For information about UK Black Pride visit: Web: www.ukblackpride.org.uk Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UKBlackPride.org.uk Twitter: @ukblackpride
- For Pride Picnic in the Park visit: http://prideinlondon.org/whats-on/2014/pride-picnic-park/
- To learn more about Stonewall visit: www.stonewalll.org.uk
- To learn about UK Black Pride 2014’s sponsors visit: www.ukblackpride.org.uk