- Stonewall is the headline sponsor of UK Black Pride’s 2014 summer events
- UK Black Pride’s carnival-themed festival and Big Pride Picnic will be a FREE event on Sunday 29 June in London Vauxhall’s Pleasure Gardens
UK Black Pride – Europe’s biggest community-led, not-for-profit support group for African, Asian and Caribbean lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people – is proud to announce its official sponsors who have helped to make the ninth annual event a free festival for all.
Leading the way, for the fourth year running, is Stonewall, which has spent 25 years fighting for the rights of all lesbian, gay and bisexual people. From helping to win equalisation of the age of consent to repealing Section 28, from securing equal access to fertility treatment and guiding marriage equality legislation through Parliament to supporting LGB people internationally, Stonewall has a proud record of engaging and winning for full equality.
The full list of UK Black Pride 2014 sponsors is as follows:
- Platinum: Stonewall
- Gold: Lewis Silkin LLP Solicitors
- Silver: Public and Commercial Services (PCS) union; UNISON, and Unite the Union
- Bronze: GMB, NASUWT, NUT and Prospect trade unions; the Trade Union Congress (TUC); London Friend counselling service; London Pride; UK Lesbian and Gay Immigration Group, and ColourfulPink
Ruth Hunt, Acting Chief Executive of Stonewall, said: “Stonewall is immensly proud to continue to support UK Black Pride as main sponsor for the fourth year running. We know how important it is for people to be able to come together as a community and celebrate who they are. While we’ve achieved so much together over the last decades there is still so much to do. That is why events like UK Black Pride are vital to show that we are a visible and vibrant community who will continue to fight for true equality here, at home, and around the world.”
Frances O’Grady, TUC General Secretary, said: “The TUC and its unions have long championed equality for LGBT people and played a big part in all the reforms won over recent decades. We’ve supported UK Black Pride from the beginning because we understand how crucial it is that the voices of all sections of a very diverse community are heard. The struggle for full LGBT equality is a long way from over, even in Britain, while it has hardly begun in many parts of the world. Together, we will continue to work to achieve it.”
Phyllis Opoku-Gyimah, UK Black Pride Executive Director, said: “We’re thrilled that so many of our community organisations have rallied behind UK Black Pride. Stonewall, the trade unions, our legal sponsors and the Black / LGBT advocacy and support groups all provide vital support and service to our community. Their gift will ensure that we can put on a sequence of events in London and Manchester over the summer. Our focus remains on the needs of Black LGBT people, as well as celebrating our communities’ many achievements. UK Black Pride is an inclusive event for all; we invite everyone to love without borders!”
To attend the ninth annual UK Black Pride carnival stage festival, which will be an integral part of the Big Pride Picnic in the Park celebrations on Sunday 29 June in London Vauxhall’s Pleasure Gardens, you should just turn up on the day from 12 noon until 9pm. The FREE event will feature a main stage where UK Black Pride will blend live music, politics and poetry to deliver an entertaining, family-friendly, and inclusive festival of community pride. With a disco stage, comedians, sports activities, education and welfare stalls, alongside world food and drink, it is guaranteed that there will be something for all tastes at the event. Join us!
UK Black Pride has a strong identity as a grassroots movement. We believe the most effective way to secure the fight for LGBT equality and inclusion is by opposing all forms of bigotry and putting people and politics before profit. The theme for UK Black Pride 2014 is Local and Global: Love Without Borders. This is a signal of resistance against those seeking to curb LGBT rights and equality from Brunei to India, from Nigeria to Jamaica and the USA. Join us!
There are many ways to get involved in making UK Black Pride 2014 a success:
- For UK Black Pride media enquiries email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For UK Black Pride sponsorship enquiries email: email@example.com
- For food or information stall bookings in the community area email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For performance opportunities at UK Black Pride email: email@example.com
- For information about UK Black Pridevisit: Web: www.ukblackpride.org.uk Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UKBlackPride.org.uk Twitter: @ukblackpride
- For Big Pride Picnic in the Park visit: http://prideinlondon.org/whats-on/2014/pride-picnic-park/
- To learn more about Stonewall visit: www.stonewalll.org.uk
- To learn about UK Black Pride 2014’s sponsors visit: www.ukblackpride.org.uk